Rustic Ranch Style Soup
- 3 qts rich chicken broth
- 1 lg head of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 lg sprig fresh epazote (optional)
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies, stemmed
- 1 med. white onion, diced into 1/4 cubes
- 2 lg ripe tomatoes cored, seeded & diced into 1/4 cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (depending upon saltiness of broth)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed cilantro
- 1 cup coarsely shredded cooked chicken
- 2 ripe avocadoes, peeled, pitted & diced into 1/2 cubes
- 1 lime cut into 6-8 wedges
Slice garlic width-wise and combine with chicken broth in large pot. Add epazote (optional). Bring to a boil, then simmer partially covered over medium-low heat for about 1 hour. Discard garlic and epazote.
While broth is simmering, halve chilies lengthwise and remove seeds. Slice thinly and set aside. Season broth with salt, add chilies and onion, and continue simmering partially covered for 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, cilantro and chicken, and simmer another 3 minutes. Garnish with avocados and serve in warm bowls with lime wedge on side.